Sunday, January 5, 2014

Origami Drawstring Pouch Tutorial

Happy New Year Everyone! I am so glad I can start the new year of this blog sharing this delightful tutorial. I have made two more different sized pouches as you can see in the photo below. The front flower print one is the pouch I already showed in the last post. The middle one is a little larger. I used a solid linen for this which I trimmed with a cotton lace. The largest one is in the back. It made of a fun dog print which is my daughter's favorite.


Materials you will need are ::

[Small Pouch / Finished Size 12cmW x 8cmD x 13cmH]
1 Square Fabric / 46cm(18") x 46cm(18"), 2 Cords / 34cm(13.5"), 2 Beads which have holes large enough to string the cords you have.

[Medium Pouch / Finished Size 13cmW x 9cmD x 15cmH]
1 Square Fabric / 50cm(20") x 50cm(20"), 2 Cords / 36cm(14"), 2 Beads which have holes large enough to string the cords you have.

[Large Pouch / Finished Size 16cmW x 10cmD x 19cmH]
1 Square Fabric / 60cm(24") x 60cm(24"), 2 Cords / 42cm(16.5"), 2 Beads which have holes large enough to string the cords you have.

These measurements are just FYI to get an rough idea what you will have finally. You can use your fabric square in any sizes actually. That means this project would be so great to use up fabrics in your stash. Or you can use fabric napkins or silk scarves you won't use anymore. (A good thing about using those items is you don't need to hem your square.) I made the small pouch with a piece of fat quarter fabric. So if you've been saving prettiest fat quarters in your stash, it is the time to use them!

A large pouch will be perfect for carrying craft supplies for kids, a lunch box, your crochet project, and so on! I crocheted the strings with fun color and wrapped the ends of strings with little felt circles.

The medium size pouch has an elegant touch of lace tape on its flaps and pockets. This can be used as a neat cosmetic pouch.

The V shaped pockets hold small belongings nicely.

The bottoms of these pouches have three layers. Even you use light fabric, it gets steadier. When you use thicker fabric like this linen (this linen weighs a little heavier than quilting cotton), the bottom feels nice and strong. (I don't recommend too thick fabric for this project. This linen would be the heaviest I would use except I am going to make much bigger bag.)


You can find the tutorial with lots of photos here. Soon you will find out how easy and simple it is. I hope you'll enjoy making your own beautiful pouches. Feel free to ask in your comment if you have any questions.  Happy new sewing year!!!


By the way, I cooked "Japanese new year's day brunch dishes" spending two last days of 2013. I usually go to Chicago to get some ready made food from Japanese super market. But this time we were too busy to go shopping in the big city so I needed to cook everything using ingredients I can get here in South Bend. It was tough and I couldn't make all I wanted. And also they didn't taste perfect as I expected. But I think it was good enough and I will be better next time.



We are having a big snow storm since yesterday. We have about 12 inches snow on the ground and the temperature will go down to -17°F tonight! We already know School will be closed tomorrow. (It was supposed to be the first school day in 2014! I want Nina going back school pretty bad :p) But the trees are sooooo beautifully covered with snow. Everything looks like in the winter wonder land. I noticed that I sort of like having a little snow storm (amazing!). I hope you all have a good start of the week and stay warm. Thank you for reading.


6 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see that you have created 3 sizes of this bag...I am going to start one tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out. Your New Years food looks delicious...now I'm hungry! Akemashite omedetōgozaimasu! copied from Google :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie!
      That's very nice you wrote new year's greeting in Japanese! (Even you copied that from Google!) I will be looking forward to hearing from you about your own drawstring pouch project. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I followed your instructions step by step and I am delighted with the results. Thank you for this wonderful tuto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Davina! I am so happy to hear about your review of my instruction. I heard from some people that they successfully made pretty pouches. Your reviews are always welcome because they help to improve my work.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the share! I made two tonight and am pleased with the outcome :) I've shared my pouches and your pattern on my blog I hope you don't mind!

    http://wickedtatsshroomfield.blogspot.sg/2014/04/constructive-ness.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I found your blog via this post, so I'll put my comment here.
    I really really love your blog and I've used all day reading all your posts. I've found so many things here I want to try and I want to teach my pupils!
    I especially love this bag and I'm going to make one later!
    Keep up the good work, you are really inspiring!
    - Camilla

    ReplyDelete