Monday, July 19, 2010

Handmade gifts are ready.

I finished making five little porches for my best friends in Japan. We are leaving on Wednesday, so I made it just in time!

I even tried to make labels. I used Iron-on transfer papers for ink jet printers. It looks OK, but I don't like it is not able to be ironed directly. You need to cover the transfer with a piece of baking parchment paper when ironing is necessary.  

These are made of leftover fabrics of this quilt and that quilt.

This one is made out of scraps of Japanese cottons. For one of my best girlfriends who loves traveling islands. I love the Japanese traditional pattern of blue waves. It is called "Sei-gai-ha" ( Blue ocean waves).

This one is for the friend who owns a cosmetic store in Tokyo. I like the black and white floral pattern. Very modern and sophisticated.

This one in front, I used the old Kimono fabric which has a woven hexagon pattern on very light gray background. I appliqued circles of flying cranes. Cranes are symbol of happiness and fortune. This one will go to the Mom of my best friend. She has been like my second mother since my mother past away in my twenties.

I did satin stitching to attach the circles.

On the other side, I put a smaller circle of a flying crane.

I cannot wait to see people who I love and looking forward to shopping around in Tokyo. Tools, fabrics, books and more! I will try to update about my trip and what is going on in Japanese craft world as much as I can!

2 comments:

  1. Hiromi, the little pouches are so nice. Your friends will love them. I am so excited for you to make this trip! Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sina!
    I am sure we are going to have a good time. I hope you will enjoy your summer too!

    ReplyDelete